Search This Blog

Translate

Monday, October 3, 2011

To Do It or Not To Do It that is the question.

    As you know, my mother in law passed away a few weeks ago. Jackie was an avid reader, anything she could get her hands on she would read...wait that's wrong she wouldn't read everything, as long as it was Sci-Fi for Fantasy she was all over it. If it had a combination of both she was very happy. Jackie tried her hand at writing poetry and art, painting mostly and art ex which I knew absolutely nothing about until I met her. Some of her art hangs in our house and it wasn't well known that she had written a book as well.

    Many years ago she gave me her manuscript and asked me to look it over for her and I agreed to do some light editing for her. I found that she seemed to have the need to introduce and heavily detail of EVERY character she had in the story ( she has lots of things going on ) I was trying to help her narrow the field down a bit to her main and supporting characters. After awhile time got away from us and there was lots more to do. The story concept was interesting but she had lots to add and re-write that I don't think she ever did.

    When we were going through her house after she passed I found the notebook she used to jot down her story and her notes. Out of everyone there Mat and I were the only ones that knew that she wrote it ( he only knew because I told him ) The family was shocked, excited, proud and they even put it in the eulogy for everyone to know about.
    Now that things have settled down Mat asked me to go over it, do the re-writes and see if I could possibly get it published in her honour. Okay now I haven't even gotten my own stuff published yet and at least I know the direction she was going in because we talked about it a lot and I guess it's like co-writing without the physical other writer.  Between her manuscript and he notes she had I should be able to put it together in a way she would have liked.

She did her part already though didn't she?

    If I take this on that means the projects that I'm already working on will have to either share time or be put on the back-burner. I'll be multitasking because and don't want to put the script on hold and finding time when there aren't enough hours in the day will be interesting. My script has to come first and even though the researching and writing will have to be done for both of them her book will have to wait before I can put the attention needed into it. So that's on the agenda too.

 I can give up sleep right?

    Maybe not... The genre itself is different than I'm used to writing, hers is Sci-Fi based where mine just aren't. I think I can do it though with some outside consulting maybe it's the last thing that I can do for her.

I'll give it a shot and see what happens with both en devours. Hmmm I think I answered my own question.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do it!

Peanut Buttah Muddah Fuggah said...

Ahhh Sci Fi!!! I love it!! You can do it!! Use my brain if you need to!!!!!!!!

So. Excited.