Search This Blog

Translate

Monday, June 15, 2015

Technical Issues... Solved...

Hello Lovelies!

I hope you weekend was full of fun and everything you wanted to accomplish.

I always find it funny that I have a thought or topic that I figure I'll tell you guys about but more often than not once I start writing it gets pushed away but something else that happened...as this Monday will go as per usual.

Besides spending the weekend trying to control the bursts of fur that have been exploding off of the animals because of the intense heat, B had a project for work she had to take care of and asked for my help.

Now I'm pretty proud of my girl for pretty much making herself indispensable to her boss and company. See my soon to be 20 yr old daughter works for a Matchmaking service. When she started there she was put on the phones to try and sell packages. She...as I knew she would...sucked at that because who wants to push people into doing something when you don't feel comfortable doing it? Every day she would come home and worry about her job on a week by week basis.

She would have to make a sale or risk losing her job, they cut her from full time to part time because she was apparently "Not bitchy enough for the phone work" and was "too nice" that hit her hard. Somehow along the way she had taken an interest in the websites that the company has in place and I would find her in her room with her desktop computer, a laptop and her phone as she tried to improve the look of the sites. On her own time, out of her own drive to see what she could do and she slowly but surely took over the position from the girl that had done the company's Social Media work, away from the phones. Now my girl has an office and a direction that she likes going in without the risk of being unemployed every week.

On Friday I called her on my lunch break as I often do and  she was less than happy. She told me that her boss wants her to create an App for Facebook...she has no training  or knowledge of how to do that but she said there was a step by step process and she was going to give it a go. Good for you! By the time I got home Friday night though she was ready to throw the computer out the window. She was stuck, I can't explain to you where specifically but it involved adding an URL we had a brief conversation about what she needed to do and then I suggested she walk away from it for a bit because that can help if you've stared at something to long. Saturday she didn't even look at it so on Sunday afternoon she came to me slightly panicked and full of dread over this Facebook app.

She sat down beside me and showed me where she was stuck;

B: Ok mom this is what I have to do...
   I read the instructions.

Me: Ok go to your company's web page and copy the URL
B: I did that! It won't work!
   She did what I asked and hit enter...way too soon.

B: See! it didn't work.
   I read it again.

Me: Put http:// in front of it...
B: I'VE TRIED THAT TOO IT WON'T WORK!
   Her face is now red from frustration so I read it one more time. They are looking for httpS://

B: Ugh...why do I have to do this! My boss will kill me if I don't but I don't know how to do this!
Me: Honey...
B: What!
Me: Add an S...
B: It's not going to work I've been trying and trying everything!
   She adds the S and hits enter...
   It Worked.

B: blink blink...
Me: Say Thanks Mom!
B: You have got to be kidding me! I have agonized and agonized about this for days!
Me: Hmm... how long did that take? 3 mins? Nice!
B: Thanks Mom!
   We laughed so hard I almost couldn't breathe.

Me: You're welcome, can I go back to my cheesy British TV now?
B: Yes, but I'm staying here in case I need you again.

For me it showed me that I understand more of this stuff than I thought even though I have my own issues with stuff involving technology the only thing I know for sure is our family learns by doing, it doesn't matter how frustrated we get we keep trying...it's really the only way for us. B is now interested in taking Social Media Marketing courses so that is a road I'm interested to see her travel down and what she can become because any way you look at it she is gaining experience and that...is...awesome.

Ok guys,
Have a great week!

See Ya
S



No comments: